Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Introduction

Hello.  My name is Tammy McDowell.  I am from Newton, MS.  I commute to Meridian daily to work for an endodontist.  An endodontist is a dentist who specializes in root canal procedures.  I have a little girl who is seven years old and a son who is fifteen years old.  I have been married for twenty years.  My husband and I just celebrated our anniversary in May.


When thinking about what motivated me to enroll in this program, the first thing that came to mind was that I would get a chance to finally make a lifelong career out of something I've always wanted to do.  I have been in an office environment since 1994.  I went into the business field because I felt comfortable in that type of setting.  Most of my family members either own their own businesses or have been in management positions.  When I heard this program was going to be available this summer, I realized it would be a "now or never" situation.  This program will give me a chance to do something different with my life.  I have always enjoyed working with the children and youth in my church.  I thought there wouldn't be any better way to make a change than to make a career out of something I've always enjoyed doing - being around kids.


The goals for this program are simple.  I want to feel prepared to meet the challenges I face ahead.  I want to feel confident that I can do a good job for my employer and not let the kids down who will be in my care.  I want to be able to challenge young people and motivate them to one day become productive members of society.


What I want to learn from this specific course is a better understanding of the children I will teach.  I've already been enlightened by some of the reading assignments.  As I stated earlier, I have a 15 year old who just went through puberty.  I wonder if I failed him in some ways, by not preparing him for all the changes that would be taking place in his life.  I thought his dad might be better equipped at that job than me.  I hope to also learn how to be the best I can be and look forward to the teaching experience in the fall.  I will gladly accept any help in the mentoring program that I can get.


When thinking of three things a teacher can do that will be a detriment to students, the first thing I thought of was having a teacher who is not prepared for classroom instruction.  A student can quickly see through a teacher that doesn't have materials ready to present in an organized manner.  Another thing that could be a problem is for a teacher to enter the classroom with a bad attitude.  What student would be willing to put forth his or her best effort for someone who is snappy or short tempered?  Finally, a major problem would be for teachers to embarrass a student in front of others.


On the other hand, teachers who come to class prepared, with a good attitude, and with a vocabulary full of encouraging words would help students to feel comfortable and confident in the classroom.


Probably the best way for me to contribute to this course is to provide encouragement to my fellow classmates.  I know it is important to believe in one's self.  My mother always told me I could do anything I set my mind to.  We just need to take a deep breath and get ready to do our best.  I looking forward to getting to know everyone. Introduction







1 comment:

  1. Welcome tot he program!

    Preparation for teaching is essential in classroom management. Many people do not connect the two, but they are intricately linked.

    As a parent you should find the readings on adolescent development interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete