Saturday, June 30, 2012

Reflection on Parks 8,2, and 4

1.  How do you think teaming can address various issues of developmental responsiveness?
As with the example given about the science teacher figuring out that the "troublesome" students acted better when they were allowed to express themselves, the same could be true for any group of teachers.  It is important for teachers in the same grade to get together and discuss student behavior.  I know I would want a "heads up" about a student who acted terrible in another class, but fine for me.  I might be able to influence the student in a positive way and work with him to teach respect for adults in general, without having to "get on to him" for treating another teacher badly. Another aspect to consider would be that teaming can help to create a predictable environment for students.  In their world, friends change, their bodies change, and their emotions change, etc.  To team up with the rest of the teachers and all agree on a uniform method of enforcing policies, provides the students with a sense of predictability.   If all teachers agree on the rewards system, the punishment system, and the discipline system, the student doesn't have to wonder  what is expected of him.   Teaming can also help reinforce instruction from one class to the next.  Teachers can plan to have common themes in their classrooms, and again help the student to feel comfortable in their routines.  Even though young teens will have different personalities, teaming can unite them in one way - they are all in middle school, and they are all surrounded by teachers who care about them.


2.  What methods can you use to create a classroom where your students want to learn and enjoy coming to class? 

          Think about PHYSICAL?  Understanding that middle schoolers are still children, I will design and decorate my room to be fun!  I have visited a few schools this summer for interviews, and the school I was MOST impressed with was the one that when I walked in the door had paintings on the walls and even on the ceiling of happy school children.  It wasn't done in a babyish way, in my opinion, because the building was specifically designed for the middle school.  I will try to post funny jokes (appropriate, of course), and show short clips when time allows, from shows like America's Got Talent, and America's Funniest Home Videos.  I think it is important to create a light atmosphere where students can escape for just a few moments from the pressures of the day.  I want them to know I appreciate a good sense of humor and that I like to laugh.  There will be times we have to get busy and complete important assignments, but there is also room for fun.   I will provide lots of motivation to display positive behavior.  From substituting at my daughter's elementary school last year, I could see that rewards really work.  The kids who had earned a certain number of bonus points throughout that last 9-weeks were allowed to get popsicles at recess.   I never would have imagined that a little 10-cent frozen dessert could have been appreciated so well!
          Think INTERPERSONAL?  Understanding that middle schoolers may try to challenge my authority, I will establish an environment that will let them know I mean what I say, but at the same time, I care and am concerned about them.  If the students don't enjoy my classroom, it's probably not going to be the subject matter.  It will be my management style.  We've been watching a lot of videos from the Teaching Channel in our Reading course, and I've noticed ZERO discipline problems in any of the videos.  I've been asking myself how these teachers have achieved that level of behavior in their classrooms.  I want an environment where children have the chance to learn.  I want to portray that desire to my students.  If they see I have a passion for learning, hopefully my attitude will be contagious.  The least I can do is to listen to them and show I care.



3.  Describe a former teacher whom you felt had great classroom management.  What are some of the skills and strategies that were important to the teacher's success?  I know the question is probably pointing to thinking about a elementary or high school teacher, but two of my junior college professors come to mind, when I think about a teacher with great classroom management.  Both my History and English teachers led great classes because the had a whole lot of knowledge about the subject matter.  They lectured with confidence and they always threw in tidbits of information we wouldn't find in our textbooks.  They had thoroughly researched  their course and were well prepared each time they taught.  They never appeared as if they were frazzled or stressed out.  Their demeanor was always calm.  And if they did get upset about something, they would become silent (as if they were counting to 10 in their minds.) So, to summarize their strategies, I would say they were prepared, thorough in instruction, knowledgeable of the subject, even-tempered, and humerus, at times.   





















1 comment:

  1. Teaming can also be detrimental to teacher-student relationships because if another teacher tells you how another student acted in their class you can find yourself putting them into a negative category. As teachers we should allow students a clean slate because no one knows what they went through in the previous years at school. Students who are expected to do better will meet those expectations and the same holds true for those who are expected to be negative will be.

    ReplyDelete